At the first meeting of the year, the SORF Board establishes standards for which funding will be allocated within each funding category. The Board has the authority to keep, amend, or create new criteria to determine how funding is dispersed.
Standards are used as guiding principles
to ensure a fair process in the allocation of resources. Standards also allow organizations insight into SORF’s expectations, specifically maximum allocations for each funding category. Lastly, standards maintain the sense of partnership requiring RSOs to contribute their portion of funding to finance an event or activity. This may change from year to year and therefore should never be assumed. Once established by the Board, standards are publicized for organizations to view.
SORF Standards for 2012-2013 (Updated)
SORF Board members embrace the principles of honesty, fairness, integrity, and viewpoint neutrality. They do not make arbitrary decisions. SORF considers each application independently, evaluating each on its own merit. When making its decision, the Board considers a number of factors including:
- Event is free for all UIUC students and open to all members of the UIUC community
- Event/activity is fundamental to the success of the organization as it relates to the mission of the organization
- Level of accessibility of the event to University students
- The range of experiences the program can provide
- Program expenses compared to the number of students served or impacted by event/activity
- If similar activities are offered free through University departments or programs
- Whether requested equipment is available for free or rent by other sources at a reasonable cost (departments, RSO Office, or OFAB)
- Whether the organization has sought out co-sponsorships and/or collaborative efforts with other groups or organizations
- Organization is contributing significant financial resources and not relying solely on SORF funding
- Organization must be in compliance with the Student Code, especially Section 2-507 for Contractual Service requests